My good food box this week came with a lot of apples and a lot of beets, so I decided ready-to-go smoothie bags were the best way to use them! I don’t know about you, but I’m always really busy this time of year, so I’m all about quick and easy meals.
Keep reading for this week’s recipe!
- Wash your beets and apples first, with lukewarm water.
- Peel your beets and boil them for 5-10 minutes on the stove
- Drain the beets once they have softened, then let them cool for a few minutes
- Cut up all of the ingredients into 1-inch cubes
- Portion the cubed fruits and vegetables into plastic baggies or containers and freeze!
- When you want a smoothie, remove one bag from the freezer and put it in your blender with water or milk!
- You can substitute any of the ingredients with your favourite fruits and vegetables, just make sure to wash them first! I added peaches to mine after since the beets have a very earthy taste.
- Feel free to add protein powder, chia seeds, or yogurt to make your smoothy even healthier!
- If you find that the beets taste too “earthy”, cut the number of beets in half and increase the amount of kiwi or banana
- Make sure you keep an eye on the beets as they boil so the pot doesn’t start boiling over!
- I used disposable plastic lunch baggies to store mine, so I didn’t need to use up energy washing more containers after
- Beets can be a bit tough to chop, if you find them too hard to cut you can boil them for a few more minutes to soften them