SSD COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, November 18th, 2022 – Zoom, 4 pm to 5:30 pm PST
Attendance: Julia, Hannah, Andrea, Kate, Parker, Bella, Adrean, Emma, Coco
- CALL TO ORDER / WELCOME – 4:03
- LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT – Chair gives acknowledgement
- ADOPTION OF AGENDA/MINUTES
- Adoption of today’s agenda – (Kate/Emma) – Carries
- Ratification of November 4th minutes – (Kate/Parker) – Carries
- Chairperson: Julia
- Education and Administration Coordinator position has closed – Interviews on Thursday
- NEADS about accessibility rating form – Rate My Prof but accessibility
- A4A meeting next Friday at 3:30pm
- Panel about accessible learning – Transition from High School to University. How can we support students before they start at UVic
- Peer Support groups – prepping for next semester early to set all the supports up in advance
- Treasurer: Hannah Brown
- The two 4th November Funding Requests have been purchased – did all paperwork
- The 21st October Funding Request is still in progress- complicated and student is having a lot of issues with UVic in general and lack of accessibility or support- working with them for advocacy and to get this sorted
- Food Security- lots of admin work to deal with food security reimbursement forms- 6/7 documents for each student- been dealing with these
- On the Hiring committee for the Education and Admin Position we are hiring, closed Monday so shortlisted and interviews coming soon
- Advocacy- A4A (poster) and SFRJ (planning and anti-racism)
- Dealing with individual students concerns and questions as they arise
- Attended the slime making and board game café events- lots of fun!
- Student Liaison: Victoria – Not Present
- SSD Rep UVSS: Parker
- UVSS Board meeting – learning what you can and can not say
- Spreading all of the events/programs we have
- International Student Rep: Hannah Boncan – Not Present
- Graduate Student Rep: Zack – Not Present
- Secretary: Emma – No report
- General Members at Large: Natasha, Kate, Jacob, and Coco
- Kate – Mandating masks around UVic, partnering with UVic AIR – Group fitness (emailing Adrean)
- Chairperson: Julia
- Workstudies have been great – we created dry food boxes on Wednesday
- Five Days of Action – reconnected with some professors (Possible collab with Natasha Reed)
- A4A tabeling – lots of outreach
- Excited about interviews for the Education and Coordinator
- Website updates
MOTION 2022/11/18: 01 – Hannah Brown/Kate
WHEREAS the SSD approved a budget of $7,000 for the Fall 2022 semester for the Food Security Program on 17th August 2022. Since opening the program the SSD has seen a high demand that surpasses the budgeted amount. Therefore;
BIRT the SSD approve an increased budget of $9,500 for the Fall 2022 semester in order to support more students.
- Discord (Hannah Brown)
- We talked about this last meeting (and have talked about it before), any updates on moderators, and rules updates etc.
- Vic will be reposting the doodle pool today to get some updated times.
- Accessibility Committee Rep (Hannah Brown)
- Nadja who is Deputy Provost Helga Hallgrimsdottir is looking for an SSD Rep to the inaugural Accessibility Committee co-chaired by the Deputy Provost and the Executive Director, Facilities Management, Melissa Donaldson. Our meeting dates will be Dec 9 11:00-12:00, Feb 17 11:00-12:00 and Apr 21 11:00-12:00. Meetings are in a hybrid format – in-person on-campus and Zoom. We will also be organising a separate student meeting after to work through how to best foster strong student engagement.
- Holiday board event (Julia)
- Order food up to $40?
- Adrean is following up with Charlene
- Open discussion
- When should we do our next SGM? Early January or February
- Andrea – Looking at Disability law for masters programs, learning more about disabilities reach out to learn together.
- IN-CAMERA – (Parker/Hannah)
- Move out of camera (Kate/Hannah) – 4:54pm
- FUTURE MEETING TIMES
December 2nd at 4 pm
- ADJOURNMENT – 4:55pm
Thank you for coming!